Saturday, May 9, 2009

Rain, Rain, Rain, Gokey, and Mattson

Paul and I went on a 10 mile run this morning and the weather was completely crappy. We left from his house at about 6:40AM and it was in the mid 40's, windy and lightly raining. 1/2 mile into the run and it was raining good. 1 mile into the run and we were already soaked. We ran down a bike trail and were surprised to see another runner just as insane as us. We were planning on going a little further (12 to 14) but the weather told us to just finish as get warm again. On the way back on the out and back, the wind was in our face and it was COLD. All in all, this is typical spring weather in Wisconsin and I just kept telling myself, this is what makes us better runners.

The thing that worries me the most was that today during the run, my foot hurt most of the way. I don't know if it was because of the cold wet weather or if it just not getting better. I am due for another physical so I might just make an appointment and get all of me checked out. It does worry me some.

In other interesting stuff happening here in the Milwaukee area, it was American Idol day on Friday. I don't watch the show all that much, occasionally, but Danny Gokey is from Milwaukee. And while I don't care all that much who wins the contest, it is fun to see how the city went all out for it. He apparently saw some of the local sights, gave a short concert, and even threw out the first pitch and sang the National Anthem before the Brewers/Cubs game. I guess it would be cool if he won. It is not like Milwaukee is known for it's singers. I will watch on Tuesday though to see how the city is portrayed. At least the weather was great on Friday.

Wisconsin recently has had a good showing on some of the "reality shows". Survivor, which is one show I do watch, has Erin still on and she is a hairdresser from Waukesha, about 10 miles from me. Also in last years America's Got Talent show, Eli Mattson, from Door County, took second place. This guy I really like. He is a piano player with a deep soulful voice. See this link to watch him sing "Walking in Memphis" on the show from YouTube. I do not have his album yet but I will be trying to find it.

I will finish today by wishing all Moms out there a very Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Sure hope the foot problem clears up. You ran such a great half marathon, maybe it'll take just a bit more time to heal.
I like Danny, he's the one I'm pulling for.
Hope it warms up some for you all. we've been up in the 80's recently!