Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Peace, Love and Hills

It is now only 5 days until the Monkey. What is the Monkey? It is the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon in Nashville, TN. I have been looking forward to this race for at least 6 months and now it is almost upon me. This is the race I wrote about earlier that sold out in just 32 minutes, that is not days, not hours, but minutes. I am glad I was up at 8AM that Sunday morning when registration opened.

This isn't your average marathon, it is one made from hell, at least that is what I am told. I am pretty sure there is not a flat part on the entire course. It is advertised as 3500 feet of elevation gain AND loss throughout the race. Up and Down and Up and Down and Up and . . . . you get the idea. I can't wait.

I don't have any realistic goals for this race other then 2. 1. Finish 2. Have a great time! I am driving down to Nashville with my friend Mike who is also doing the Monkey. We plan on stopping in Louisville and touring the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory Tour and then getting to Nashville Saturday afternoon. We are going to eat a the pre Monkey dinner which should be really cool since there should be lots of Nashville runners there that we can meet.

The race is Sunday at 8:00AM and the weather looks interesting. I have told you that this is not your normal marathon and neither is the weather. I saw a post on their website that said the forecast calls for 20% chance of precipitation and 80% chance of Pain and Suffering. Bring it!

The hardest part may very well be the 9+ hour drive home AFTER the race. Yes, Mike & I plan on driving all the way back to Wisconsin after the race. Well, not right after. After the race, they have a runner/volunteer smorgasbord. I plan on bringing down some Wisconsin favorites, and not Cheese. Beer? Perhaps some.

I will end this post the same way Trent (Monkey Race Director) ends all his email updates:

Peace, love and hills.
Monkey Groovy.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Good luck! Amazing that such a tough race fills up so fast. I can't wait to hear all about it!