Monday, July 5, 2010

Melissa's First 5K

The 4th of July seems to be a great day for a race. They seem to be all over so once again, I headed out for a 5K race. This time, however, I wasn't the one racing, it was my 8 year old daughters racing her first ever race. I was going to run with her along with pushing my youngest in the jog stroller. Melissa has been running a little as a part of the kids marathon but no real training. I decided that the best thing for her would be to do some running and some walking though out the race and that is what we did. It was quite warm so she was complaining about how hot she was, but she was a real trooper and finished in a time of 37:22.

She was happy to finish and proudly wore her race shirt the rest of the day. I made one big mistake, I forgot to take a picture of her before of after the race. I'll remember next time.

I finished a good week of running with that 5K. I ended up with just over 50 miles. Saturday I did 24 miles in the morning. It was a nice morning and not too hot like it got in the afternoon. I started at 5:05 AM and 3 miles into the run, the sun was already up. here was a slight breeze that helped and I was mostly running to the west meaning the sun was behind me which helped. At about 20 1/2 miles, I started to feel tired for about a mile and then it went away right before the final hills. The final 3/4 of a mile is was up Government Hill Road (Sounds bad, doesn't it) and then to the observation tower. 210 feet of elevation gain in 3/4 of a mile and then a tower climb of about 50 feet. And for the first time, I was able to (somewhat) run up the tower steps.

It was a good run and I felt great the rest of the day including going to see Toy Story 3 with the girls. The day ended at the beach near my home with a little swimming, a water ski show and fireworks.

I hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend.

Quest for 200 in July Update: 35 miles down, 165 to go.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Congrats to Melissa!! Great mileage, Bill!!

misszippy said...

Congrats to Melissa! You seriously ran 24 and then a 5k the next morning? Seriously hard core!