Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Caught Up In The Moment

Yesterday was Volleyball night again. My match was scheduled to begin at 8:30 so I got there early and was planning on running 9 miles before hand. I left in plenty of time and it was a real nice evening. The temps were in the low 70's or upper 60's and the humidity was almost all gone. So I left at an easy pace and enjoyed myself.

At about 3 1/2 miles, I was turning onto a bike trail when I was passed by another runner, a younger guy. We exchanged pleasantries and struck up a conversation as he slowed to my pace. Turns out he ran the Chicago marathon last year as his first marathon and was training for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in the fall. He asked my opinions on a lot of the marathons I did and we just chatted for a bit. All of a sudden I realized I missed my turn around spot and had gone 3/4 of a mile too far. I completely spaced out. I turned around and headed back toward volleyball and luckily got there 2 minutes before the match was to begin. Instead of 9 miles, i got in 10.65 miles at 8:43 pace. It felt good except my right knee felt sore the last 3 miles. Hope that doesn't last.

Today, Mike and I headed to the track for our first track workout of the summer. We did 5 X 800 with about 3 minutes rest between. Times started out at 3:30 and ended up just under 3:00 so that was pleasing. Mike had been running the whole time in lane 2 and finishing about 15 seconds ahead of me each time. Jokingly, I said for him to try that in lane 8. He asked me if that was a challenge to which I relied that if he could beat me running the entire time in lane 8 while I was in lane 1 the entire time, that I would quit running right then and there. My running life was on the line so good thing I pulled out the 2:56 and he was no where near me. Of course, he ran something on the line of about 850 to 875 meters. We ran back to work afterwards since I did not need to quit.

I am going to take tomorrow off and end June with 141 miles. I will start my quest for 200 on Thursday with an 8 miler or so. Saturday is looking like a nice long run at an super easy pace. Could range from 22 to 24, that is if the knee doesn't keep getting sore.

2 comments:

Mark said...

200!! Awesome goal....glad you are still a runner:)

Beth said...

Looks like you had a great month! Nice that you got a good run in before volleyball and that your first track workout was a good one. I bet July will be a great month, too.