Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Shoes

I took the entire weekend AND Monday off of running. It was a nice break for the legs and for the mind to get me ready for the long summer of lots of miles. I need to train my legs and body to be able to handle all 26.2 miles and not slow toward the end of a marathon. I also want to be able to run a faster pace. I think 3:45 is definitely within reach.

So I got back to running today. After work, I was going to tun 8 miles on the trail but it was raining and after 100 yards on the trail in mushy puddles, I turned around and decided to run on the roads. It wasn't raining hard but enough to make my shirt completely stick to me after a 1/2 mile. I ran a route I have never run before and since my Garmin is toast, I really didn't know how far to go. I just followed where the road went until about 38 minutes and turned around. It was windy and cool but I love running in the rain so it was fun. Actually I don't like starting running in the rain, but once I am wet, I rather enjoy it. I finished in 1:11:58 but I didn't know what that meant for pace since I didn't know how far I went. After a check on GMap Pedometer, turns out I went 8 1/2 miles for a pace of 8:28. Felt good.

I just bought a new pair of running shoes. My old ones had waaaaayyy too many mile son them and the toe part of the sole was beginning to tear. I am a Nike guy. Always have been. I went away about 2 years ago as an experiment and tried some Brooks and Adidas but they didn't work for me. I was running in Nike Skylons but they discontinued them which sucks since I liked them. So I am trying out a new style. I ended up buying some Nike Lunarswift Breathe. They are light but have a more rigid sole. Not sure I will like this but they were reasonably priced.

I would have run in them for the first time today, but I didn't want to wear them so quickly in the rain, so I used the old pair one last time. there is one thing I do not like about these Lunarswifts already, the color. What is with running shoe companies and the odd color designs they come up with. My last pair of Skylons were not bad but I have had my share of rather ugly running shoes. And with the models I get, there isn't a choice of design/color.

Orange really isn't my color but in the end, my time won't be slower because I run in white and orange shoes. I have had uglier looking running shoes so it can be worse.

1 comment:

misszippy said...

I actually think they're pretty cool looking! I have a couple of friends running in that model and they have liked it so far. Good luck with it.