Wednesday, September 2, 2009

7 + 2 = 9

So I am trying to tire my legs out for the 2 long runs this weekend. Why would I do this? I want to have the legs get the feeling of running long distances when tired, simulating the feeling I always get past mile 20 of a marathon. This week should produce the highest mileage of my training before the fall marathons and that certainly should make them good and tired. If all goes according to plan, I should be in the mid to upper 50's for the week, very high for me.

Yesterday was a nice 7 miler. It ran it a but faster than easy pace and it felt good. I didn't know how the legs would feel after the great run on Monday but they responded good. i think it has a lot to do the with cooler temperatures we are having here in Wisconsin. It was lower 70's with low humidity. I ended up doing the 7 at 8:19 pace. As I was walking in the parking lot at work after the run, Mike came outside and was about to start his run (later than usual). He was going for a quick 4 miler on a 2 mile loop near work. He jokingly asked if I was going to join him and I said, what the hey and joined him for the first loop. So with the 7 mile run and the 2 mile run, that makes 9 for the day.

It was good to talk to Mike during the run. We don't usually get time to talk at work (he works in a different department) and we usually crack jokes or shoot the sh--. I hate it when he says something so funny that it makes me crack up while we are running. I can't laugh hard and run at the same time. this makes him try harder to do just that, what a friend!

Today was another encouraging run. I went on another 7 miler and I ran it at an easy pace. the legs still felt good and it ends up that the easy pace was 8:30. Yes, another cooler day here. So I have 22 miles in this week so far with another 32 coming on Friday and Saturday. I may join Mike on an easy 4 miler tomorrow, we will see. But the week is going well so far despite the minor back and ankle set backs. It is only 5 1/2 weeks until the marathon so I must keep up the hard work.

The rest of this week and most of next week I will be concentrating on the Kid's Marathon. That is only 1 1/2 weeks away and I am feeling the pressure to make sure everything goes well. I will have to write more about the event later.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Good going!!! Glad the ankle is feeling better!