Thursday, August 27, 2009

1000th Mile This Year

I don't know if you look over at my mileage tracker on the right side over there, but today on my 5 mile run, I passed my 1000th mile this year. As much as an accomplishment as this is, it is not like I haven't done it before. Since I started to track all my workout in an Excel spreadsheet starting in 2006, I have hit 1000 miles each year. More than likely I ran either close or over 1000 miles in 2005 and 2004 as well, but I can't be certain. What is good about this year is that this is the earliest I have hit the 1000 mile mark. In 2006, it was hit on November 11, 2007 on October 7th (During the Chicago "Meltfest" Marathon), and in 2008 on November 2nd (Ironically again during a marathon, Rails to Trails Marathon). Since January 1st, 2006, I have logged a total of 4671 miles!

So I am way ahead of the pace of the past years by close to a month and a half. This is probably because of the 4 marathons I have already ran this year, including the Heart of Texas back-to-back marathons. I have been trying to increase my mileage in hopes that it will help bring own the marathon time. I guess we will see how that works in October and November.

After the Lake Geneva run, I took 2 days off but ran a real nice fast run on Tuesday. It was a little over 7 miles at 8:04 pace. Not quite Tempo pace but much faster than easy pace. It was good. The next day, I ran 4 miles with Mike and was very slow and sluggish. Today was an easy 5 miles to top the 1000 mark. It felt good today as it was cool. It will stay cool here all weekend with lots of rain Friday and clearing up for Saturday.

I hope it is nice on Saturday as I have a medium long run planned. 13 miles at easy pace. Then I plan on hiking with my oldest princess. We are going to go to Lake Geneva again and walk the shore line. I mentioned a post or so ago that the public has a right to walk the entire shore without the neighbors kicking you off, unless you leave the path that is. You actually walk right through multi-million dollar mansion backyards. I have never done this walk before so I am looking forward to it. I plan on taking the camera so hopefully I can get some cool pics to share. We are going to walk about 7 miles of the shore from Lake Geneva to Williams Bay. This is the part with the most expensive homes, so I am told. Melissa is behind on her miles of the Kid's Marathon so we will be using these miles for her log.

Speaking of the Kid's Marathon, things are looking very good for the final event. Most items needed are already on order and plans are coming together. Let's just hope the weather cooperates with us. Please check the Kid's Marathon Website if you want to know more about it, or just drop me a comment and I can tell you more. I am very excited for it and all these kids have done so well in their running this summer as well as all the required reading. Right now my main concern is having enough volunteers on race day so it goes off without too many problems. I may have a high school cross country team that can help and if they are not available, I will ask some other high school students to help out.

I know a lot of you are in your highest mileage weeks of your marathon training. Keep up the great training! You will all do awesome in your fall marathon.

No comments: