Wednesday, April 1, 2009

1 Full Year

Apparently it was cold here today, very, VERY COLD. It didn't feel all that cold but as I drove past local bank that displays the time and temperature, I then realized it was colder than I thought. The bank sign read -999F. I have now felt a new low in cold. This wasn't an April Fools joke because I have been told it was this way for a few days now. I didn't even know it could get that cold. It didn't seem that cold on my 4 mile run today. Who am I to argue though, I mean, what are the chances the bank display was wrong?!?!?!

Well, I have officially done something I did not think was possible. We all have our comfort foods or drinks out there. Maybe they are our guilty pleasures or just no good for us. Well, I love to drink soda. Coke was my drink and more so Cherry Coke. I used to drink way too much of it. Well, last winter and early spring, I had been gaining some weight that I did not like. I do not look overweight at all but I still would like to lose about 15 pounds. Hey, it is 15 less pounds to drag for 26.2 miles, right? I decided at the end of last March to drink less soda. I thought I would drop it to 1 or 2 per week. The first week went by and I had no sodas, then it was 2 weeks with no soda, then a month. It has now been a full year with no soda. Not a drop. I never said I wouldn't drink soda again, but after awhile, I just wanted to prove to myself I could do it for at least a year. I even joked that I would celebrate today by drinking a coke. Nope!

After about 1 1/2 months into the no soda thing, I had lost about 7 pounds. I have been even since then. I think I just started having other stuff to take the place of the sugar drop. Candy, Chocolate Milk, and hot chocolate come to mind. I have tried to lower all of those as well now. I guess I need to just eat a little less. It is weird what happens when you stop doing something you like so much. I had quite a few dreams over the year where I dreamt I was drinking soda. I even woke up thinking it really happened and had to convince myself I didn't. I have craved it as well from time to time, but that happens less often now. We will see how long I keep this up for.

Did any of you see the April Fool Joke on Runner's World today? It was about Usain Bolt being named the Rabbit of this years Boston Marathon. Theoretically, they say he could run a marathon in 1:08. No one seemed to fall for it, but some comments were pretty funny. One guy said "Will he be wearing a helmet?" I laughed at that one because that was what they tried to fool everyone with last year. Here is the link to that article. At work, we still joke about that one.

1 comment:

Mark said...

A whole year without a coke is a big accomplishment! It's my favorite soda, too. Hope it warms up up there!