Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tapering Sucks!

Tapering sucks! Well, not the benefits from it, but the process sort of sucks if you ask me. I am not running today and did not run yesterday. Monday and Tuesday were only 4 and 3 miles respectively. I do feel like I have some extra energy which is good but what I hate is all the little aches and pains that I seem to get whenever I taper. Tuesday, my left knee was bothering me. Why? I have no clue, it just started hurting to the point where I was limping a bit. It is gone but now I have achy muscles. Must come from the lack of exercise that they are used to. This causes me no worries for the race though. It will all be gone when the race begins.

Speaking of the race, I leave tomorrow, very early, with Mike for the 9 hour drive to Fargo. We plan on getting there mid afternoon and in enough time to get through the expo and be ready for the 5K race at 6:30. We are going to run this very slow and relaxed.

The weather for Saturday is looking a bit crappy all of a sudden. Rain may begin at 6:00AM with temps about 61 at 8:00AM. This is warmer than I prefer but I will take what I get. A big issue may be the wind. Right now it looks like winds of 16 to 19mph from the southeast for the race. This could cause problems for the first half of the race. I may have to back off my plans a bit in order to avoid a crash and burn situation. It will now be a race time decision of what the pace will be. Best case scenario will be run with the 3:50 pace group (8:45 pace) and try my best to relax at that pace. If the winds are howling, I will back it off and run at 4 hour pace (9:09 pace).

That is all for now. See you on the other side of Fargo!

2 comments:

misszippy said...

Yes, that last bit of tapering before a marathon is tough! I hope the weather is with you...rain might be nice and cool, although wind stinks. Good luck!

Mark said...

Hang in there, Bill! Good luck in Fargo!