Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What Does It Take To Run A 9

If you look to the right side of my blog, you will see that I have a Runner's World Running Totals. It gives weekly, Monthly, Yearly, and Total distances that I have run since January 1, 2009. I have a log on Runner's World dot com that I log all my runs and it totals in all up for me. On the log, I can rate my workout on a scale of 1 to 10 for effort and quality. It is rare for me to rate my runs above an 8. Well, today I gave myself a a 9 for both effort and quality.

Mike joined me for 2 loops after work on our 2 mile route. We were going to do a tempo run, at least it would be tempo for me, just a slightly faster run for Mike. I did not wear the garmin as I did not want to wait outside in the cold for it to synch up with the satellites in the 24F temperatures. It can take a few minutes sometimes.

I knew were were running pretty good on the first loop and after 1 mile, Mike thought we were at about 7:30 pace. The roads were pretty clear so there wasn't much snow to contend with so a fast pace was safe and we took full advantage of it. After 1 loop (2 miles), I wanted to pick it up some but didn't know if I had it in me for 2 more miles at that pace. Mike was ahead of me by about 15 meters at 1 lap and I tried to catch up to him but he inched away little by little. Not too much though as after 2 laps, he was only maybe 30 meters ahead.

I was spent pretty much after the run and that is why I rated the effort a 9. And my average pace for the 4 miles was 7:05! That is why I rated the quality a 9. If i was under 7:00, I may have given myself a 10 but feel it takes quite a great run to get a 10.

I am back to the long runs this weekend. I am planning on 20 miles at Pettit with Paul (my friend, not the 86 y/o). On Saturday it will only be 4 weeks until the Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Marathon in Albany, Georgia. So far it looks like Mike will be joining me down in the Peach State and quite possibly Paul as well. That will be pretty cool if they can make it. I will let you in on my goals and plans soon.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow! So glad you had a great run. Very nice! That would be great if you had some company for your marathon. Good luck with your 20 miler- you'll do great!