Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Run in Chocolate City, USA


After a weekend off of running, I was able to get back to it this weekend with a 17 mile run.



I have a friend who is starting a new Thanksgiving Day race in Burlington, WI, about 20 miles from my home, and I decided to look up the course on line to see what it was like. As I was looking at some satellite images of the area, I noticed a new trail I did not know existed. I followed it from the images and noticed it was a little over 6 1/2 miles long. So I thought to myself that this might be a good trail to run, to see what it had to offer, to see where and what I would see.



So I got up early Saturday morning and drove to Burlington and parked near where the Thanksgiving Day run would take place. Just as the sun rose, I started my run in the cool morning and did a close to 2 miles before I hit the trail.



The trail is called the White River Trail and it has the same name as a trail that goes west (this one goes east) from Burlington to Elkhorn. For some reason, the trail is not completed through the town which would have been really cool if it did but I understand that isn't always possible. This one is also very straight. The only turns on the entire 6 miles is when the trail needs to go under the newly constructed highway and the continues on it's straight course. Elevation doesn't change much at all and the trail is maintained nicely. The trail was also almost empty. I saw 1 runner at the start of the trail as I went out, 1 person at the turn around walking his dog, and another near the start again on my way back. The solitude was nice, just me and my thoughts on the trail.



I kept a very even pace almost the entire way. The average pace only fluctuated between 8:56 to 9:00 since mile 2. It felt good.



With 2 miles to go, right where the trail starts, I passed the Nestle Factory. Burlington is called Chocolate City, USA and if you have never lived or gone near a chocolate factory, it can be a real treat to the nose. The smell was wonderful for about a half mile. Brought back memories of going to Marquette U basketball games as a kid and passing the now gone Ambrosia Chocolate Factory in Milwaukee.



I finished strong and felt good afterwards.



Keep on Running!!!

No comments: