Monday, April 12, 2010

Close Call

Mike and I went on a 4 mile run today. We were both a bit tired from our runs over the weekend. Not even a half mile into the run, one of the fear all of us runners almost came to be. We are running down the road and way into the gravel of the shoulder at least 6 to 10 feet from the fog line on the road. We notice a yellow pickup truck heading our way but it has now crossed the white line and is almost in the gravel. While we both don't say anything, we think it is just someone we know from work trying to be funny. On the safe side, we move further in the the gravel and Mike is already on the grass past the gravel. As the guy passes us, dust flying, I can see him looking down at his cell phone or something like that not paying attention to the road at all. He passes but has no idea he just passed 2 runners.

This is my biggest fear about running these days. I am pretty good about judging what drivers will do and knowing if the see me or not, but I am not certain all the time. These types of drivers on their phones and texting scare me the most.

So I remind all my fellow runners out there to be safe and always be aware of the traffic around you. You never know when one of these idiots is coming your way. We didn't.

1 comment:

misszippy said...

Scary moment, for sure! Glad you got away unscathed.