Thursday, July 2, 2009

Today I Did A Guest Post

Hello Everyone. For those of you who ventured my way from Melanie’s Blog at Life is a Marathon, welcome to my blog. For those of you who did not, I did a Guest Post there today while Melanie is over the Pond in Europe. I posted about my experiences of running marathons at different paces and what it is like to run with the fast runners, mid-packers, and slower runners.

So for those of you who came from Melanie’s blog, my name is Bill and I run marathons and everything shorter. I have not ventured over 26.2 miles yet and really don’t have a desire to right now. I have completed 17 marathons to date and my next planned marathon is the Whistle Stop Marathon in Ashland, WI in October. I am currently a slightly faster than Mid-Pack runner with aspirations of qualifying for Boston someday. My goal this fall is to run a 3:45 like I did in October 2007.

I didn’t start out being a marathoner. In High School and College, I ran the 800M or half mile if you prefer. I was good in HS and OK in college with a PR of 1:56. I ran my first marathon on 1993 just after college and then took 11 years off before my next one. My PR is 3:40 from my first one but in 2007, I ran a 3:43 so I am closing on that PR.

I do run with those faster runners often as I have friends like Chaz, Mike, and Chris that have all qualified and run Boston a few times and run either sub 3 hours or close to it. I also run often with Paul who is on the verge of qualifying, only 3 minutes shy in his last marathon. Art & Larry also run marathons with us but are 4:00 to 4:30 marathoners and don’t run them too often.

I write this blog so those that want to follow my progress may and that maybe they can pick up a few tips from my running experience. And I read other running blogs to get the same. I don’t always write about running, there is a lot of other stuff that goes on as well.

One interesting thing I have started is I am the Race Director for a Kid’s Marathon at my daughter’s school and other schools in the Milwaukee area. If you would like to check out the official website, check it out here. The kids have already started logging miles and books (It is a reading & running marathon) and the final mile is scheduled for September 12th in the morning. All kids receive a T-Shirt and when they finish, they receive a Finishers Medal & an inspirational book. My plan is to have the final mile have the same feeling like a real marathon with music, food, excitement, giveaways, etc. So far things are coming together great. We have 195 kids signed up! I hope I don’t disappoint.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Please drop a comment and tell me who you are and what you think. I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Running and living said...

Nice introduction. Good luck with the marathon goals! Ana-Maria

Melanie said...

Finally catching up on my blog reading! Thanks again for guest posting for me! Glad to see things have been going well in your world.