Saturday, December 4, 2010

Avoiding the Snow

Snow started falling sometime in the middle of the night last night. By the time I woke up at 5:30AM to get ready for my long run, there was already a blanket of white over the entire ground. It was still snowing and they forecasted that it would continue for quite awhile. So I decided to head over to the Pettit Center for my long run.

I arrived a little after 6 and was on the track shortly after. Only 4 others were on the track when I started and there was no one else on the ice oval or the hockey/figure skating rinks so no music was playing. I didn't have a desire to run fast so I started with laps around 2:30 which is just over 9:00 pace. My plan was to go 65 laps which equates to about 18 miles. 2 times in the first 25 laps, I needed to stop for a restroom break so there was something not quite right with my stomach. It felt better after that but I still kept the slow easy pace going.

By about mile 12 or so, a guy ran past me and we ended up talking some. He recognized me from running the Icebreaker Marathon. Turns out it was Matt who won last year's Icebreaker so obviously he had to slow waaaaaay down to run those laps with me. Turns out he ran High School Cross Country and Track the same time I did but on the other end of the state. Nice guy.

I finally finished my laps and miles with an average pace of 9:03 per mile but my right knee and the tendinitis was really bothering me. I ended up doing a short second workout when I got home by getting out the shovel and clearing the driveway as the girls played in the snow for the first time this winter.

Tonight, I took the girls down to Miller Brewery in Milwaukee for a small holiday lights tour. The FREE tour starts with the girls getting a light up Christmas light necklace then a short walk down to watch the 300,000 LED light show choreographed to music. Then a walk in the the underground caves where they used to chill the beer in the old days about 70 to 90 years ago. Finally, we went to the miller Inn for some quick beer sampling. Did I mention this was all FREE. Pretty cool. They do have tours year round for free with beer sampling, but the holiday lights are only for the next 2 weekends.

2 comments:

Running Diva Mom said...

so lucky that you can go run on the track on a whim -- jealous! So cool about the miller tour. We've done it before but never over the holidays -- fun and free is always good with the kids!

misszippy said...

I am impressed that you could run that long on a tiny track! Almost like EMZ and her 23-milers on the treadmill!