Monday, October 4, 2010

Farm Aid, American Idol, Lakefront Marathon

We don't get too many celebrities in the Milwaukee area but this weekend there were many opportunities to see them around town. I didn't see any, but then again, I wasn't looking.

First of all, Farm Aid was held at Miller Park where the Milwaukee Brewers play. Playing there were Jason Mraz, Norah Jones, Kenny Chesney, Dave Mathews, John Mellencamp, Neil Young, and Willie Nelson. Second, there were comeback auditions for American Idol. I didn't even know they had comeback auditions for that. So Ryan Seacrest, Randy Jackson, J-Lo, and Steven Tyler were also in town. That is a lo for Milwaukee one 1 day. Turns out Steven Tyler even went over the Farm Aid and made a surprise appearance there.

I did happen to go downtown on Saturday afternoon (I live about 25 miles out) because I went to the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Expo. There wasn't much there but I did get to meet Jenny Crain and support the Jenny Crain Make it Happen Foundation. In case you don't know who Jenny Crain is a local runner who had qualified for 4 different US Olympic Marathon Trials and before the 2008 trial, she was hit by a car on a training run and had massive injuries. I wrote about her almost a year ago, if you want to read it, see here. While her speech has been improving a lot, she was wonderful to speak with and she was very interested in talking to my little girls even asking then their names, repeating them, and asking them about themselves. My girls really didn't understand why she was they way she was, but they were polite and supportive of her none-the-less. I was proud of them. I was proud of Jenny Crain as well.

Turns out I did know of few runners in the Lakefront Marathon including a few guys that run on the same team I run with. Paul's cousin's husband, a former college teammate of mine as well as my coach from college. He is in the 55-59 year age group and still ran 3:04, not to shabby.

I ended up getting ion 13 miles on Sunday as I begin the taper. I ran it at marathon pace and it felt relatively easy so that is a good sign.

Congratulations to all the Lakefront Marathon finishers!

No comments: